Monday, August 25, 2014

I Have Life #OutAndAbout

Do any of you remember the December 1994 news story about the women Alison Botha, who was abducted in PE by two men, raped, stabbed and disemboweled; finally left for dead with her head nearly severed from her body after 16 stab wounds to her neck. And she survived.
Miraculously Alison dragged herself to the middle of the road nearby and was rescued by veterinary student Tiaan Eilerd and later also some incredible doctors, who had no idea how she could still be alive.
Her story is one with so much wonder, shock, awe, courage, belief and inspiration.

Over the weekend Ferdinand and I took a few of the FADCreationS mentorship students to watch the theatrical portrayal of this woman's story at the Sandton Auto and General Theatre on the Square  I Have Life - Alison's Journey.  I knew it was going to be heavy, but I did not expect to be quite so moved, shaken and inspired.

The wonderfully effective and minimalist set and lighting is the work of the talented Denis Hutchinson. The piece was adapted and directed by Maralin Vanrenen and the role of Alison is portrayed by Suanne Braun. And the wonderful supporting cast of 4 are Shaeleen Tobin, Zak Hendrikz, Clayton Boyd and David De Beer.

It is not an easy watch, it takes you right to that moment with her, makes you wonder what you would have done, makes you ask a multitude of questions, it has you disgusted, disturbed, in awe and perplexed. It has you fighting tears without success and wrenches deep empathy not only for the ordeal she went through but for everything that comes after and how often that torture is what most 'victims' don't overcome.
Alison's message speaks of her own personal ABC's, Attitude, Belief and Choice. These things combined can be what pulls us through the worst of circumstances; it is our choice, it is our attitude and it is our unrelenting belief that can make all the difference.

Suanne Braun with the real Alison, who has been supporting the piece I Have Life avidly and will be attending the final performances this week.

What was so profound to me was that in spite of multiple stab wounds to her neck and it being almost completely severed, none of her vital arteries or vocal chords were damaged; in spite of multiple stab wounds to her abdomen and genitalia, none of her vital organs were punctured or damaged, and Alison was still able to have children (two boys). Her survival and recovery was nothing short of a miracle.

There were powerful performances in this piece and I will always make mention of my friend and insanely talented actor Zak Hendrikz, who takes on the difficult challenge of portraying Alison's main attacker Frans, night after night (among other characters). But then I need to take a moment in order to wax lyrical about the profound brilliance that is Shaeleen Tobin. If I thought I would walk out of the theatre dry eyed, I was sorely mistaken. Shaeleen's emotional portrayal of both Alison's mom and best friend had me spilling over every time, she draws you in and makes you feel whether you want to or not. She is so real and honest and engaging. She is just something else and someone I can only attempt to aspire to as an actress. Thank you Daphne Kuhn and Maralin Vanrenen for braving such an impactful and important story and piece.

I thought I might walk out feeling morbid and disillusioned by the cruelty there is in this world. Instead I felt moved. I felt moved to do more, to be more and to believe more. To believe in my own capabilities, realising that we are infinitely stronger and more able than we think.

"No matter the circumstances, you always control your attitude, your beliefs and the choices you make..." Alison

Chat soon,


No comments:

Post a Comment