Monday, March 17, 2014

Shooting Range #MeMoments

So my neighbor across the road, happens to be an award winning veteran shot and is a member of the Gauteng Pin Shooting Association (GPSA). We have often chatted about going shooting, but a few weeks ago talking turned into an invitation. Uncle Percy took me to the shooting range in the area where we stay, and where he is also a weekly regular and something of a legend. Well, what an incredible experience!

I am so lucky to have experienced my first time handling a weapon with someone so incredibly skilled, both at shooting and coaching. I not only handled a weapon, I handled six different weapons and can't even begin to guess how many bullets we shot. Uncle Percy also makes his own larger caliber ammunition at home, so we collected and saved all the used casings for him.


I wish I could tell you the precise names and details of each weapon I shot with, but I would be doing a lot of guessing... The first hand gun I shot with was a .22 pistol with a wooden grip and I was allowed to insert the magazine...cool. I also shot with the larger .22 semi-automatic (on my knees) which made me feel really bad-ass! I was shown how to load the .22 bullets into its magazine. Uncle Percy has a personalized Smith and Wesson .45 pistol with his full name engraved on it, it's so beautiful and is the weapon he carries (unloaded) on his person at all times. It has the largest 'kick' of all the weapons I handled and wasn't as scary as I expected. There was also another black pistol of .357 caliber, a revolver (which is fun and tricky to hammer back every time) and a standard 9 mm pistol that I shot with.


For my first time we stuck to shooting pins mostly, which was such fun! It is the most rewarding thing to see those pins fall to the ground, and according to Uncle Percy I have a natural talent and I listen well to his instructions. I shot all of my pins first time with my first couple of rounds, and realised when I started missing and only hitting on the second shot, that it was generally when I doubted myself or took too long to aim well and take the shot. Fatigue is also a factor after a while, and Uncle Percy took the time to explain breathing, holds and stance to me. It's safe to say I am totally hooked!

I do not think I am someone who will ever own a gun or keep one in my home, BUT knowing how to handle and load a weapon in life is a great skill to have and I think quite important.

On top of that I have a huge interest in growing these skills for action acting and adding it to my skill-set as an actress.
I do think that I will find ways to continue my action, weaponry and combat training in the future. Think Evelyn Salt, Elektra or Aeon Flux... I wanna be bad-ass!!



I'll keep you all posted on my #actiongirl progress!
Chat soon,






















No comments:

Post a Comment