Friday, March 28, 2014

Queen at the Ballet #OutAndAbout

Sean Bovim's Queen at the Ballet... need I say more? Having friends of mine performing in this wonderful production and with my own background in ballet, it was such a privilege to be invited to both the opening and the preview for the Johannesburg season. Unable to attend the official opening on 27 April at the Joburg Theatre, we attended the preview the night before and I am so glad we got to see the brilliance of this cast and production.


Henk Opperman in Sean Bovim's Queen at the Ballet.
The first time I met Sean Bovim, was during a summer school program (or was it winter?) at the State Theatre. He was then still a part of the fantastic PACT Dance Co. and I was still very much a blushing ballet girl in awe of him and his colleagues. During the course of the program we would do joint classes with the Company, including body conditioning with the incredible and legendary Pat Gush. I will never forget being partnered with Sean for some random foot strengthening exercise, which to this day I can't for the life of me remember - as I was too busy worrying about the proximity of this incredibly hot and sexy male dancer, whilst forced to play a weird form of footsie with him and trying to be good at it at the same. Needless to say, I've been a fan ever since. Sean has done some incredible work, and I wish I had had the opportunity to work with him in the height of my contemporary dancing days.

And speaking of inspired young dancers, I met a beautiful member of the cast named Faye Dubinski, who happened to have gone to school with me at the National School of the Arts. And as we were introduced she tells me that I was her Gr12 senior and her idol at the time. I said 'really'? She replied, Yes! I looked up to you so much, I even named a bear after you. I wanted to be just like you.
Friends and leads Henk Opperman and Devon Marshbank
Well, my night and possibly my week was made. And as I had no clue about Faye, so I am sure Sean will have had no idea about my own awe and admiration. We have absolutely no inkling of the lives we impact in our day-to-day comings and goings... the ultimate life decisions or paths we influence or inspire, that's what makes what we do so powerful. Faye's name is one I will now watch with keen interest and hope to see in many programs yet.

And seeing as impacting lives are par for the course for us, hubby and I love to include our FADCreationS's Career Mentorship Students in experiences like these. Two of our students joined us for the evening, Roelien Prinsloo and Morne Vogel, both have recently finished Matric and are heading for studies or careers abroad in the US. We have the honour of guiding, coaching and developing them along the way. Here we all are at the Joburg Theatre.

With hubby, Roelien and Morne.


Some of my favourite numbers of Queen at the Ballet were Who Wants To Live Forever with the three incredible pas de deux couples and the Don't Try So Hard duet, danced by friends Henk Opperman and the beautiful Elzanne Crause. Sean's pas de deux's are just breathtaking.

I am so glad this production is being showcased in Johannesburg and hope that we will be privy to many more of Bovim Ballet's works up in Jozi in the future.
I am sure that their Opening Night must have been magnificent and wish the cast and company all the best for the run. The season only runs until 13 April, so make sure you do not miss it!

Tickets at http://www.joburgtheatre.com/

Here is a link to a 'taster' video for Queen at the Ballet. 


Lots of Ballet Love,







No comments:

Post a Comment